breeding adj : producing offspring or set aside especially for producing offspring; "the breeding population"; "retained a few bulls for breeding purposes"
2 the result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior); "a woman of breeding and refinement" [syn: education, training]
3 raising someone to be an accepted member of the community; "they debated whether nature or nurture was more important" [syn: bringing up, fostering, fosterage, nurture, raising, rearing, upbringing]
4 the production of animals or plants by inbreeding or hybridization
5 the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring [syn: reproduction, procreation, facts of life]
- Rhymes: -iːdɪŋ
Adjectivebreeding (no comparative or superlative; used only before the noun)
- Of, relating to or used for breeding.
- Your toothbrush is a breeding ground for bacteria.
- present participle of breed
- Through genetic manipulation and harsh training, I am breeding a species of super-dogs to take over the world.
Breeding generally refers to the act of biological reproduction or but may also refer to:
- Artificial selection, the intentional breeding of certain traits, or combinations of traits, over others
- Purebred, cultivars of a species
- Inbreeding, breeding between close relatives, whether plant or animal
- Provenance, the origin or source from which something comes, and the history of subsequent owners
- Manners, the unenforced standards of conduct which show the actor to be cultured, polite, and refined
- Sexual intercourse
- Breeding season
breeding in Japanese: 飼育
breeding in Norwegian: Avl
alpha decay, animal husbandry, animal rearing, apprenticeship, atom-chipping, atom-smashing, atomic disintegration, atomic reaction, atomization, basic training, bee culture, beekeeping, begetting, beta decay, bombardment, breaking, bullet, cattle-ranching, chain reaction, chicken-farming, civility, cleavage, conditioning, courtesy, crossbreeding, cultivation, culture, dairy-farming, development, discipline, disintegration series, dissociation, dissogeny, dressage, drill, drilling, elegance, endogamy, engenderment, exchange reaction, exercise, fetching-up, fission, fission reaction, fostering, gamma decay, generation, genteelness, gentility, gentlemanlikeness, gentlemanliness, gentleness, gnotobiotics, good behavior, good breeding, good manners, grace, grazing, grooming, herding, horse training, horsemanship, housebreaking, improvement, in-service training, inbreeding, ionization, ladylikeness, linebreeding, manual training, military training, mink-ranching, multiplication, neutron reaction, nonreversible reaction, nuclear fission, nucleization, nurture, nurturing, on-the-job training, outbreeding, photodisintegration, pig-keeping, polish, politeness, politesse, practice, preparation, procreation, proliferation, propagation, proton gun, proton reaction, raising, readying, rearing, refinement, rehearsal, reversible reaction, sheepherding, sloyd, splitting the atom, stimulation, stock raising, stockbreeding, target, thermonuclear reaction, thremmatology, training, upbringing, vocational education, vocational training, xenogamy, zootechnics, zootechny